Group: Clays and also The Montmorillonite / Smectite Group.
- Colour is snow white to almost silver.
- Luster is dull to pearly or greasy.
- Transparency crystals are translucent and masses are opaque.
- Crystal System is monoclinic; 2/m.
- Hardness is 1 (can leave mark on paper)
- Specific Gravity is 2.7 - 2.8 (average)
- Did you know that Talc is the softest mineral(talc minerals) found on
earth with a Mohs hardness value of 1. Put in perspective diamond has a
Mohs hardness value of 10 being one of the hardest.
- Though mostly Talc is white but it is also found in a variety of
colors such as green, pink, yellow, grey and black.
- Talc is used by humans since thousands of years as body powders and
- It is one of the few water repellent talc minerals on earth.
- Before cutting a sticky substance, sprinkle Talc on your knife which
will prevent the blade from getting sticky.
- Oil stains can be removed by sprinkling talc powder (industrial talc
powder) over it and letting it remain for 10 minutes. Then brush off the
talc and off comes the stain with it.
- For clean and sparkling crystal glasses, wash with talc and water and
then dry with a clean cloth.
- If your book gets accidentally wet then sprinkle each wet page with
talc powder and spread it evenly with a clean cloth. Place a heavy
weight on the book and remove after a week. Then dust off the talc
powder and you will find your pages dry as before.
- In cold weather sprinkle talc on your vehicle door seals which will
prevent the doors from frosting.
- If you regularly use gloves for work or riding horses, motorcycle etc
then sprinkle a little talc powder inside them. This will prevent you
from getting blisters and also keep your hand dry and non sweaty.
- If you are troubled by ants in your house then sprinkle talc powder in that area and you will find it free from ants.